I got an e-mail from Tonette and Chinggay of Witty Will Save the World, Co. a couple of days ago asking if they could send me their 2013 planner, and remembering their “Akala mo lang wala nang slumbook pero meron meron meron” Notebook/Slumbook and how I had wanted to check it out (never got a chance!), I said absolutely.
I’ve never been good at keeping planners. I always manage to get sent one of those pretty Moleskine ones every year, and the one from a couple of years ago was actually pretty for a few weeks—I’d write in pencil, I’d use fancy fonts, I’d attempt to illustrate, I’d stick, staple, or attach things like tickets and invitations for events and occasions—but it lasted just a few weeks because I got lazy, or too busy to keep it up, or both.
I love a pretty planner, but I know myself well enough to know that I’ll never be able to stick to it, so I look at it longingly for a few minutes, then I pass it on to an officemate or a friend who will make infinitely better use of it.
I don’t think that will be the case with this awesome planner, though!
The first thing you’ll notice is the humor, and you’ll probably have to be a Filipino to get it, but if you do, you’ll love it. Front cover pa lang, panalo na. I’ve spent hours and hours trying to come up with an appropriate title for mine (Ramon De Veyra suggested "After the End of the World: The Regina Belmonte Story" but then since in real life I am a babaeng bakla, I went with "Apocalypse Daw? The Regina Belmonte Story” instead. Haha! It’s still tentative until 2013 actually hits, though.)
I tried my damnedest not to treat it like a regular book and skip ahead, because there’s so much fun on every page and I just want to see it all right away. It’s the kind of planner that really encourages you to write in it, with little notes and illustrations that prompt you to talk about your day, or the state of your love life, or the number of expensive coffee drinks you’ve purchased, and on certain days, there are interesting little pop culture facts noted (like the date that NU107 signed off with “Ang Huling El Bimbo” is in there), which I love. It really is like a diary, in that you and 10 of your friends could own it and no two books will be the same because of what you choose to write in it (apart from your daily comings-and-goings).
It’s a page per day, but it’s a small enough book that it’ll fit in any bag without taking up tons of space, the printing is lovely, the paper is lovely, everything about it is lovely, and it really is so witty that I keep cracking up when I read through it. I’m already looking forward to starting it in January, provided the world doesn’t end on Friday.
You can purchase it from their Multiply site for an incredibly affordable P399. Or you can win one of four that I’m giving away!
- You must be from Manila or be willing to swing by Manila and pick your prize up from my office along Pioneer Street because I’m not entirely sure that I have enough money to ship to you, but I’ll try! (I kind of just bought a new camera, haha.)
- If I can’t ship it, you’ll have to be able to (a) pick it up on Friday at my office, (b) wait until just a few days after the new year to get it from said office, or (c) cross your fingers and seriously hope that I manage to ship them out before I go on Christmas vacation even though I am broke. (P.S. I’m also kind of using my Christmas bonus to pay my mom for my Yeah Yeah Yeahs Singapore trip in January, haha.) But chances are good that I can ship, so YAY!
- You have to be following me on Tumblr and/or Twitter obviously!
- Leave a reply to this post with your own version of ”_______: The (Your Name/Username Here) Story”, or tweet it to @vivatregina with the hashtag #WittyWillSaveTheWorld. Again, if you do both, you get two chances to win!
- You have until tomorrow, December 20, at 4PM, and I will announce the winners promptly (selected with my usual randomizing system) at 5PM.
Sounds good, right? Are you ready?